Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  Diploma in Women's Health (DRCOG)
106915327

I am a student. I had a pregnancy test and it was positive

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a student. I had a pregnancy test and it was positive but the chances of me actually being pregnant are incredibly small, if not, impossible. I am not yet registered with a GP and my German health insurance expired when I moved to the UK. I don't know what to do. If the test was a false positive, what could the cause be? I am desperate and I don't know what my options are at the moment given my current situation.
JA: The OB/GYN Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: Yes, I am but I have been careless about taking them at the right time and on the right days for the past month And my last period was over a month ago
JA: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Never had one
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Yes. I am under treatment with Hydrocortizon and Fludrocortizon for the past 10 years. But again, when I moved here, I had about three weeks when I did't get my medication because there was a mixup caused by the post office with the package from Germany

Hi, I'm Dr Osula, is there any reason why you think its impossible to be pregnant?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Years ago, the doctors didn't say it's impossible but that my chances are very small. Also, I have been taking birth control pills (although as I said, I have been quite careless with them) And my ex-boyfriend and I used condoms almost all the time

well, any small chance is a chance. what kind of pregnancy test did you do?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I bought one from the pharmacy. I can't remember the brand because I got scared and I threw it away. But it's one of those tests that shows lines if you're pregnant or not

Clearblue?

Positive or negative preganncy tests should always be repeated 48hrs after the 1st one

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think so. The first test I took a while ago was negative. I kept on feeling bad, not being able to eat anything, feeling disgusted by any food or drinks so I took another one a few days ago. That one was positive but I thought it was just an error so I took another one yesterday which was positive

ok, if you done more than 2 positive pregnancy tests, then very unlikley to be false if its a reliable test kit thats been used.

If you want to be 100% sure, your GP cn send you for blood tests

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I understand that but as I said I am not yet registered with a GP and my German health insurance expired when I moved to the UK. What should I do?

I'm not iunderstanding, are you doubting that you are pregnant?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also, I forgot to mention I have polycystic ovaries. Can that cause the positive tests? I am sorry but I am just trying to find another explanation because my boyfriend broke up with me, he doesn't want to help me until I get a confirmation from the GP
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes, I am doubting that. And I don't have a GP so I don't know what to do now to be sure that I am or I am not pregnant
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also, if I am pregnant, where can I go have an abortion?

Polycystic ovaries do not stop you from getting pregnant, it only measn you cant predict when you'll ovulate so you cannot time trying to get pregnant around ovulation.

Do another pregnancy test, try a different tesr kit. If it still says positive, then you're definitely pregnant. It in doubt, your nearest walk-in clinic or A+E can do their own urine or blood test to confirm.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay, thank you very much for your help

No worries