Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, 5 years experience in the field of General Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have mirena coil for 14 months, my period has now settled

I have mirena coil for 14 months, my period has now settled to every 23 days and lasts for about 7 days which is 3 days if regular bleeding then a couple of days if spotting. The last 3 periods the spotting is going on for up to two weeks.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was wondering why the mirena hasnt stopped my period ,I am 49. All my friends seem to never get a period this is my my third mirena I had a break of a year before getting this one inserted , the other two also took quite a while to settle. I just want to check that this is not a sign of something worrying . Thankyou

Hello, my name is Dr Uzair and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Though it can take for a while to get them settled but if the spotting lasts for two weeks for more than three cycles then see a doctor to get the thorough evaluation to rule out any hormonal imbalance.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
With my age being 49 and maybe perimenopause could this be a reason for hormone imbalance. I am worried it is womb cancer? The spotting continues as part of the period.

Yes, it can be perimenopausal hormonal fluctuations and you should not be worried about cancer. You can get this evaluated by a doctor for further reassurance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Am on anxiety medication for extreme anxiety maybe anxiety isn't help it settle down.good to know it's not cancer related.. I feel a lot more reassured. My gp also looked at my cervix and said she didn't see anything worrying.

Then relax.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes.