Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have a question about my fertility. I am 36 years of age

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have a question about my fertility. I am 36 years of age and already have 2 children 15 and 11. So everything seemed to work fine and I never had any problem until now. Well I don’t know yet if it is a problem but I need your professional advice.
My husband and I wouldn’t mind to have another baby and don’t use any contraception. My cycles seem very long though but still more less regular. Sometimes 31 sometimes 35 days, occasionally I can get a delay up to a week or so but it’s rare. My last period was 14.10.2019 on 28.10. I noticed clear egg white like discharge and thought it was ovulation, prior we had unprotected sex on the 25th. My breasts started being sensitive and bigger on 04.11. and still are. I also had some crams around the same time and twitching from my left lower abdominal. Literally twitching and quite noticeable pain like sensation. It all subsided in a couple of days but the breadth are still sore. I did pregnancy test both for early detection and both are negative. Could you please comment on what could it be if it is not pregnancy? Since I did those tests I am nearly 100% confident that I am not pregnant but just trying to understand why such symptoms occurred.Thank you in advance.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

In honesty, I think it is too early to put a huge amount of confidence in home pregnancy tests (based on a LMP 14/10/19). Accordingly, I would recommend that you continue to test for pregnancy 1-2x weekly until you have a normal period or a positive result.

The symptoms certainly are consistent with pregnancy, so the alternative is an early pregnancy failure.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you DR Ben, it does bring some clearance to my thoughts at the moment. I guess I trust home tests maybe little too much because in the past they did show early enough both pregnancies with my children.
Could I ask you if my cycle considered long if it is 35 days or is it still normal?

An average cycle duration of 35 days is still within the normal range.

You’re very welcome, all the best.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your clear answers.

A pleasure, have a good evening.