Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 20 year old that has pcos and as a result of it I

I am a 20 year old that has pcos and as a result of it I have not had periods at all for around 5 years unless I have taken medication to induce a bleed. I am currently taking Provera which causes me a bleed. What is the reason why I have completely absent periods unless I take provera to induce a bleed?

Hello and welcome.

Women with pcos tend to not ovulate much, which means they often don't get periods, since ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later.

As to why you have pcos, it's probably a combination of genetics (inherited) plus being overweight. All women with pcos aren't overweight, but most are. If you are overweight, losing weight could help your periods to return.

If you're not trying to get pregnant, you could take birth control pills, and that would give you regular periods. Best regards.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the reason however that I am not menstruating at all but I have a bleed after taking Provera? What hormone must be I higher/lower in that normal for this to be happening?

Normal menstrual periods occur because a woman's ovaries make progesterone for 10-12 days and then stop. It's the stopping of progesterone that causes the uterus to bleed a period.

We can mimic the same thing by giving you progesterone. It changes the uterine lining, and then when it is stopped, the lining reacts by bleeding.

Progesterone is only produced by the ovaries after ovulation, so your ovaries probably are making very little progesterone.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If my ovaries are making very little progesterone then how much does that decrease my chances of pregnancy considering the only way I bleed is if I am taking a bleed inducing medication?

Pregnancy is all about ovulation. The progesterone is secondary. If you start to ovulate regularly, you will probably have a good chance of pregnancy.

The pcos is the reason that you're not ovulating (I assume). Pcos can be treated, either by weight loss, medication, or some combination. If you wish to become pregnant, I would see your doctor, hopefully an OB/GYN or fertility specialist.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your payment and rating.