How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 12097
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

I have had cysts on my ovaries (not PCOS just ovaries are

This answer was rated:

Hi,I have had cysts on my ovaries (not PCOS just ovaries are poly cystic) for 2.5 years now. 6 months ago i had really bad ovarian pain which turned out to be a huge haemorrhagic cyst. that subsided but the last few months my periods have been more and more delayed and more pain isnt the usual dull ache, cramp in your uterus it is sharp, mainly in my ovaries and a really horrible gnawing and pulling feeling in my lower pelvis. my period has been really clotted and not normal watery, blood consistancy ( sorry for TMI). my lower back pain is horrendous.i have also been having breaks in between my period, 2 days then two days stop then 2 days back again before it finishes.the pain is really bad and isnt being helped by ibuprofen or GP wont refer me for a lap as she said theres nothing you can do 'youll just have to live with it'.how do i get a lap if my dr wont refer me? also, does this sound like endo? also, does endo cause miscarriage as i had a miscarriage last year and wondering if it may have been the cause.

Hello and welcome.

How old are you?

Have you tried birth control pills? Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No because me and my husband are going to try for a baby relatively soon
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am 24

In the future, the birth control pill is one of the best ways we know to prevent ovarian cysts and to help periods to become normal.

Endometriosis is a possible cause for your pain, but we more often see it in older women. It would require a laparoscopy for diagnosis. Most miscarriages are not caused by endometriosis, although it may increase your chances some.

I think you really should see an OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. If you're not having normal periods, that may make it more difficult getting pregnant. You would need a referral or go private.

As long as you're not trying yet, I would ask your GP for the birth control pill and see how much it helps you. Then stop when you wish to start trying.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are there any non hormone options for treatment? What is the best thing for pain management because paracetamol and ibuprofen doesn’t work

Usually ibuprofen is as good as you can get without a prescription. You could ask your doctor for a stronger prescription med.

If you have endometriosis, there are treatments for that. I don't think there are any good non hormone options. Sorry.

Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your payment and rating.

And thank you for the bonus!