Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a mole on the lip of the labium Majora i believe. It

Customer Question

I have a mole on the lip of the labium Majora i believe. It looks like the similar moles i see but it could be inflamed due to irritation. I didn't know i had it there till i was shaving and went over it, now its more raised. I feel it there more than before because of this. Should i be concerned? I had one like this on the inner labia on the other side like this and it went from raised to flat over time but this is in a spot that causes more irritation.
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: less than a year and half and i had dysplasia when i was pregnant but it went away 20+ years ago
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: as in.. regular doctor visits
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: not sure
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome.

Most moles are benign, and moles are very common. However, malignant melanoma does occur on the vulva/labia.

Some things that make moles more worrisome are asymmetry, border irregularity, various colors, bigger than a pencil eraser, and if it's enlarging and changing.

It may be difficult for you to evaluate a mole on your vulva very well, so sometimes it's best to see your doctor to check it out. Your doctor can probably reassure you, or if there are questions, it can usually be easily removed.