Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My labia majora is loose and hangs quite low, will this

Hello. My labia majora is loose and hangs quite low, will this naturally tighten if I lose weight, or are there any exercises I can do to help please?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I haven’t and I am not on any medication.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I recently visited a nurse about anal skin tags and she commented on whether I had lost weight recently. I told her I had assuming she had noticed my baggy clothes and thought nothing more of it.
The other day I was rubbing hair removal cream along my bikini line, I when I lifted my leg I noticed my outer lips fall open. When I looked at myself further whilst bending over I found my outer lips, whilst still full, were very loose - can this be rectified/improved without surgery please?

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can be of help

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Dr Elliot, thank you for your help!

So in short, yes, it is possible weight loss could lead to this, and therefore you would expect 6-12 months following the weight loss there would be some natural improvement

At that point I think this would be the final outcome. A gynaecologist may then be able to advise on certain creams you could use to help, and there is a surgery for this. However this would be deemed cosmetic and therefore unlikely be covered by the NHS

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Are there any exercises that would help with this area (not keigel) please?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have lost about 15kg and probably have another 15kg still to go. Could I expect that weight will be lost from my labia too?

Congratulations, tha'ts great. There are no exercises as this is purely soft tissue and no muscle to be toned within the labia

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! But continued weight loss will impact my pelvic area and so could only help please?

You will only gain benefits for weight loss - assuming you are sensible about it

I hope that helps. Is there anything else you would like to ask?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry to keep questioning, but weight can be lost from my labia please?

Yes, in theory, it depends on our fat disposition, but the labia would be one of the last areas to lose weight. If you do general cardiovascular activity this will help, targeted exercises will help lose weight in those particular areas. But unfortunately you cannot target the labia

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your time Dr. Ruff! Stay safe and well