Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My period hasnt stopped for 5 weeks now and i needed some

Customer Question

Hi there, my period hasnt stopped for 5 weeks now and i needed some advise if possible please?
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: I used to be on the mini pill for about 2 years but i was advised to take a break as I've had lumps in my breasts (one surgically removed). I stopped taking the mini pill in February this year. Had normal periods in March and April (mild pain the first day, period lasting 3/4 days) and since then my May period has lasted up until now
JA: The doctor will be able to answer that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discolouration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Last smear test was done last year and the results were all fine
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: I used to have polycystic ovaries and this is the reason why i was prescribed the mini pill which actually helped me with the cysts
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

what is your height and weight?

how old are you?

you should be checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome

you may need to go back on the minipill

there are medications like provera your doctor can give you to help with heavy period bleeding

do you have a GP doctor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. David, thank you for your prompt response. My height is 165cm, weight 70kg, 26yrs old. The flow isn't heavy but just constant, i do have a GP doctor back in London but i am currently staying in Bristol due to the covid situation. I think I would need a scan appointment to check if those cysts have come back
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

that would be a good idea

going back on the pill could help

being checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome can help

you may need to try to find a GP in Bristol if you are there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before going back to the pill, can i take anything else that can stop the flow?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you can ask your doctor for a prescription for provera or Medroxyprogesterone which can help with heavy menstrual period

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright, thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping after Positive Feedback. (You have to scroll up to the top for the ratings area)
Make sure you are logged into your account so you can leave positive feedback.
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one last question, if I am not able to get a scan appointment soon, could i just go back to the mini pill i have been taking? would the flow stop after i start taking the pill and would it be safe?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, try going back on the minipill

that could help decrease your heavy period

you have to weight the benefits of the pill with the small risks for lumps in your breast.