Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Hiya, I've recently started a calorie deficit diet, I was

Hiya, I've recently started a calorie deficit diet, I was eating around 1300 calories at the start of my diet (may 6th for 4 weeks) now 2 days ago I've cut it down to 1100. I'm on the mini pill and I never miss a pill but I am sexually active! I've been experiencing spotting - mostly browny/dark a couple of times now since I've started my calorie cut. I'm wondering if it's this that's causing it? Or if I may be pregnant or have an ovary condition ?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Of what I eat?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of!

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot. Indeed a rapid drop in weight or starvation will have an impact on your cycle. If you have not missed a pill, then this is not concerning. If you have any discomfort or the spotting doesn't stop, then I would contact your doctor to arrange a review to examine you.

To be certain I would do a weekly urinary pregnancy test for the next 3-4 weeks, if at 4 weeks it is negative and the bleeding has settled, continue as you have done before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really concerned about being pregnant but ovbiously as I take the pill and I haven't missed one I should be fine, just can't stop panicking!

That is understandable, any one would be concerned, and I am pleased to hear you are questioning it. However a small amount of spotting is not uncommon. Pregnancy would not be my first thought. But just to be cautious, do the weekly pregnancy test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you!

My pleasure, please could you kindly click on the stars to give me a rating for my response - many thanks

This is the only way JustAnswer can acknowledge my response to your question, thanks again