Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I’ve recently stopped getting the Depo injection, not by

Hi, I’ve recently stopped getting the Depo injection, not by choice but due to COVID my surgery was not offering face to face appointments at the time of my injection, they offered contraceptive pills as an alternative but I do shift work and so I’ve never been able to manage to take the pill correctly. Once doctors are once again running fully I was debating making the switch to an implant contraceptive. The thing I liked the most about Depo was that it stopped my periods completely as I have always had really painful and heavy periods. Is there a chance that would happen too with the implant? Also how bad are the side effects? Weight gain for me was particularly bad on the Depo and I struggled for a long time to maintain my weight

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for your question. The Depo is also a Progestogen implant, the drug is the same, it is just released differently.

The only benefit is the duration in which you need to have them.

https://patient.info/doctor/contraception-general-overview

This is a professional article on the different types of contraception including the injection and implant.

Please do let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask.

Please could you also kindly rate my response to your question, this is the only way I am acknowledged by JustAnswer for replying to your message. Many thanks