Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

I have vaginal itching/irritation for the past 3 months and

Hi I have vaginal itching/irritation for the past 3 months and it’s becoming really unbearable. I went to a walk in clinic and was told that I had BV. I was given a course of metronidazole but the itching was still there after taking the antibiotics. Couple weeks later I was give clindamycin antibiotics. This seemed to work but then I had my period after and within a couple of days the itching was back there is not much discharge..if any. I am at my wits end because the itching is unbearable. I have had cases of BV in the past however there was no itching and a quick course of antibiotics would work. I have been trying home remedies but it would only soothe the itching for a couple of hours then it comes back. It’s even worse when I exercise. I really need some help.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I’m not in any pain. Just a lot of burning. I have had tests for STI s and everything is ok with those results. I have a copper IUD and my periods are regular but heavy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No not really. I’m fit and healthy. Just the odd hay fever allergy.

Hello.

I am Dr. Israr and I will help you today.

I need little additional information before I can send you a helpful answer.

How old are you?

Do you have any vaginal discharge now? Its color, consistency and odor?

Have you tried anything locally to treat this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m 35 years old. I barely have any discharge at the moment. However when I do it’s sometimes clear and sometimes white. It’s a thin consistency. The itching tends to flare up at night, or during/after exercising. I have been quite stressed out recently. I have tried home remedies such as apple cider vinegar in a cup of water to rinse the vulva but I don’t douche with it. I’ve tried taking probiotics supplements and turmeric supplements. I’ve tried to change up my diet as well. The problem seems to be more of the itching than of the discharge now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no odour from the discharge.

Okay and thanks for all the input.

Well such itching with minimal discharge without any odor can be due to vaginal yeast infection. Antibiotic intake can worse it.

Use following medicine to treat this issue.

Apply Canestan cream three times a day for 7 days over vulval and pelvic area.

· Apply 1% hydrocortisone cream three times a day for 7 days over vulval and pelvic area. Mix it with canestan cream and use it.

· Probiotics like Rephresh ProB are once daily for 14 days.

Tab zyrtec once daily for 3 days.

· Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.

· Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches. Keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.

Kindly let me know if you have any other issue regarding this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. When I went to the walk in clinic they tested for both yeast infection and BV ... I had the same itching then as well. They said it was BV and that’s when they gave me metronidazole. So you think it’s a yeast infection as a result of the two courses of antibiotics (metronidazole and clindamycin)?

Yes it is quite possible. Severe itching also confirm this. It is not feature of BV.

Antibiotics are known to flare up yeast infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to getting checked out I used a canestan pesary and the cream as I thought that it might have been a yeast infection. But that didn’t work. So this is when I went to the wall in clinic.

Initially it may not be yeast infection. But currently you are having typical sign and symptoms of yeast infection. So you should treat it.

Severe itching, minimal vaginal discharge without any odor is typical feature of yeast infection.

Kindly let me know if you have any other query regarding this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see. Thanks for your help. The stuff that you’ve recommended, can I get them over the counter or do I need a prescription from my GP?

All of these medicines are available over the counter in UK

At the end Kindly rate my answer if you think it’s helpful and informative. You can click on the button Rate the Expert will be under the chat box. This will blink with green every few seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help.

Most welcome.