Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

I get my periods every two weeks, Not using any

I get my periods every two weeks
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: Not using any contraceptives and my last period started yesterday
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discolouration, or unusual smells?
Customer: I am 22 so have never had a smear test, none of the above
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: I am anemic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get my period every two weeks, there is no pain, I am just very emotional and find it hard to control my mood swings. When I have the odd month where I go a full month without getting my period, when I do get it I am in so much pain and have collapsed quite a few times as the cramps get so bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like this is affecting my mental health, I get so down, and have no energy, around my periods. I am not sure how to control how I feel and pick myself up.

Hello.

I am Dr. Israr and I will help you today.

I need little additional information before I can send you a helpful answer.

Since how long you are having such periods?

Any investigations and treatment already done?

Have you done blood CP to know hemoglobin levels for anemia?

How is the flow usually during periods? Heavy, normal or spotting only?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Israr, thank you for replying. My periods have been irregular for the last 6 years. I have never been to the doctors about my periods, because I have been scared too. They are every 2 weeks and this seems normal for me now as it has been happening for years. In the last year, I have had periods once a month now and again, however they are so painful and I collapse and feel so low. I was diagnosed with Anemia last year, I was taking supplements for a while but I no longer do. My periods are very heavy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never been on the pill, or taken any contraception.

Okay so sorry for your issue.

Kindly tell me

How is your weight?

Any history of excessive hairs over face, chin,chest and thighs?

Any history of chronic constipation associated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My weight is 8 stone 13 pounds, it has always been the same. I eat quite a lot but never put weight on. I do get hairs on my chin, and neck, which I feel very self conscious about and I wonder why I get this and other girls do not. I don't have any chronic constipation

Okay and thanks for all the input.

Well you are having Polymenorrhea. Well first of all you should start cap trenexemic acid thrice a day and tab mefenamic acid 500 mg twice daily for 5 days to control such bleeding and pain during periods. But these medicines are available in UK by prescription only. You can contact your primary care doctor for this. If this is not possible for you in current scenario of COVID-19 then you can take otc tab aleve 250 mg twice daily for 5 days to control such bleeding.

Later you need to see your doctor physically for pelvic examination followed by pelvic scan to look for cysts in ovaries. You also need to go for BLOOD cp to know about your anemia status. Your hormonal profile like LH, FSH,TSH and Prolactin levels should be checked to reach final diagnosis and treatment accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is Polymenorrhea dangerous? Is there a reason I have this? If there is a cyst in my ovaries should I be worried and do you think I have one?

Well this is not dangerous at all. It is well treatable condition. Cyst in ovaries can cause this issue. But it is 100 percent treatable issue. Nothing to worry at all. I assure you.

Kindly let me know if you have any other query regarding this issue.

At the end Kindly rate my answer if you think it’s helpful and informative. You need to scroll up though the conversation and find the stars at the very top of the page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I will go to my doctor once the covid situation gets better. In terms of my mental health, I feel like my periods cause me to become very moody and down, is there anything I can do?

Well its because of hormonal imbalance. There are few things that you can do until you see your doctor.

Eat enough protein in every meal

-Exercise daily

-Manage you stress ( this will lower down your cortisol levels and help regulate periods)

-Avoid sugar and refined carbs

-Consume healthy fats

-Maintain a balanced diet

-Drink green tea twice a day

-Get high quality sleep, or enough sleep a day around 8-10 hours

-Consume high fibre, like Metamusil

I hope these will help

Kindly let me know if you have any query regarding this issue.

I am here to answer all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for all your help! is the hormone imbalance due to polymenorrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do nothing about this, will it have long term effects?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have left it so long already

Most welcome.

No polymenorrhea is due to hormonal imbalance.

Well you should see your doctor for this. If we will left it without treatment it will continue to disturb you. Painful and recurrent heavy bleeding will result in further anemia which is not good for your general as well as mental health. So you should take it serious and get it treated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will go and get checked! Thanks so much for all your help! I will give a rating now thank you, ***** ***** good week.