DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I want to know what this motion is, No, No

Customer Question

I want to know what this motion is
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
What motion please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I send you a video
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am 35 weeks pregnant and the baby keeps making a motion that is scaring me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please see video attached
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Got it--hold on please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's like a rapid movement and sometimes it is slower than other times, sometimes it is more subtle and sometimes it is very strong like in the video but he is also moving as he is doing it
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But I am so worried what could it be. He does it everyday from around 11am ish on and off but sometimes he does it for maybe 4 or 5 hours
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Is this your first pregnancy?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it is
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Nothing at all to worry about here--you just don't know what to expect

Towards the end of term the baby becomes much more active and it's totally normal and expected

So no need to be concerned about this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is an unusual movement and I am having even more anxiety because no one can tell me what it is it doesnt seem normal to me. Have you seen this before with other pregnant women?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Like today he has been doing it in differnt strength and speed since 5pm and it is not 10. He only just stopped doing it 30 minutes ago and is just moving around as normal now :(
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had quite bad anxiety when I was in my first and second trimester. Could this have affected his brain waves or something?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry i meant it is now 10pm
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

I see it most every time in late pregnancy

It' means he's totally fine and healthy

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But what is it?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
will he continue this when born?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

It's just the normal movements--he's just a little more active

You're way over worrying about this--he's fine

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But it is a rhythmic movement. Thst is why I am worrying. My midwife told me she doesnt know what it is. That is why I am worried. I feel you are not telling me something because you dont want me to worry. I have never heard a lady tell me her baby moves like this
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Was the video clear? The motion is a rhythmic motion. Almost like someone breathing inside my belly.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Very clear and I'm not telling you something I think you want to hear--just the plain truth

I don'r know why the midwife has never seen this before

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But what would you call that kind of movement. Because it is not a rolling or kicking motion and why is it more common in third trimester?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

There's no specific term for it other than fetal movement

And those aren't Braxton-Hicks contractions (false labor)

There is no specific reason why it happens in the late third trimester

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I still dont feel settled with the answer. :(. If it is normal fetal movement my midwife would be familiar with it and it will be all over the internet.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 days ago.

Let me have another expert give you a second opinion

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff and your question has come back up.

With fetal movements, anything less than 10 movements within a few hours is considered abnormal. Increased fetal movements are not deemed pathological.

At 35 weeks you would expect your baby to be rather active now. The movements like this are purely an indication of position and activity of your baby.

The doctor before is correct, there is no term for it. Your midwife is just saying they are not sure why, if they were concerned they would admit you for an ultrasound and CTG - which I assume they didn't do.

It isn't on the internet as it would be deemed normal movement.

This is therefore normal and I would anticipate this will continue for a bit longer but closer to term they can slow down a bit as your prepare for labour.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello yes. I am just not too settled with the last response he was lovely but he gave me a very general response and he said he will refer me for another option
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can you see previous conversation
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Or should I update you on my concern?

This is an indication your baby may be rather active when born - but rapid movements in pregnancy do not necessarily mean this correlates to life post labour so is more of a theoretical assumption.

Things that could trigger this are things like adrenaline - so your own anxiety would cause adrenaline to increase, which will stimulate your baby. Other causes are cold drinks, caffeinated drinks also

Thank you for offering but I had read your conversation and had reviewed your video thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But why is it a rhythmic movement? For hours sometimes why not like other normal babies who just kick squirm roll turn? Why rhythmic like there is a malfunction in his nerves or something

Some movements can be rhythmic. This is not suggestive of anything pathological.

You are now entitled to attend maternity day care given your gestation, why don't you go and see them tomorrow and see what they say?

I am happy nothing is abnormal. You are clearly very anxious about this, which I understand. But short of saying there is nothing wrong, nobody can reassure you any more than this.

Go see them, please don't continue to feel anxious with this as the stress is far from ideal for you or your baby

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But would I be able to see the baby breathing? Could it be breathing? I dont feel babies make this kind of rhythmic movement. No one has told me their baby did this

Life and medicine is full of uncertainty. Not being able to accept that will inevitably cause anxiety.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They are just midwives I have been and they dont know what it is. This is where my anxiety stems from.

And there lies your problem.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I hoped an obgyn would be able to give me specifics of what it is like. Oh it's a hiccup or oh it needs checking asap

Go see them tomorrow - I am not going to be able to reassure you via a web chat

They would happily assess you to check all is fine

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I try another obgyn? Because they wont be able to help
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have spoke to 3 midwives already
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They just che k his heart beat
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
that is fine
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
they send me home saying they dont know what it is

This is just called uncertainty - not everything has a name or a term. But they have reassured themselves that it is nothing to worry about otherwise they would not have sent you home.

3 midwives advised you of this.

The problem is your anxiety, not your baby. But just because I am unable to reassure you, doesn't mean you can't go back and be reassessed.

If they were worried they would ask your obstetrician to see you.

A normal heart rate implies your baby is not in distress.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But I cant accept uncertainty surely I cannot be the first to have experienced this surely and if I am then maybe the child has a rare issue no one wants to tell me about until I am surprised when he is born I need a black and white answer
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I cant go there they will just do a heart monitoring and that is all they do. It doesnt help me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Maybe refer me for another obgyn to have a look maybe they will have an experience with it to advise me

I understand your anxiety - however, what else can be done if there was a rare problem? The baby is now almost fully developed. You could encourage an obs doctor to induce you early, but at risk to your baby when there is no clear indication.

The only imaging that is safe in pregnancy is ultrasound which they can do.

Other than this - there is no other option to make any further assessment.

You are just going to have to find away to address your anxiety to get you through to labour - this is the safest option for your baby.

It is clear that your anxiety is the issue here.

I will opt out. But I strongly suggest you address your anxiety. Having a newborn is an anxious time.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 9 days ago.

May be someone involved in fetal medicine can test baby's EEG, requires special apparatus to filter mother's brain waves. There could be spasms or fits. But not life threatening, can be dealt after birth if still persisting.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But it lasts for hours at a time same time everyday why fits?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 9 days ago.

Could just be normal physiology also, as fetus also dreams and during REM sleep such body activity is there.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why is it that none of you obgyn know exactly what this is? It is so frustrating. Everyone is just saying it's normal without telling me what movement it is or like you assuming it's this or that. Surely in your years of experience you should have encountered this and know what it is? It is stressing me out I am spending money and never getting a proper answer only assumptions. It is be coming annoying.
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 8 days ago.

Why not get ultrasound scan done during movement phase?