How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 29958
Experience:  MD
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

Just a quick question, do I need a referral letter from a GP

This answer was rated:

Hello, just a quick question, do I need a referral letter from a GP to see a gynecologist ?
JA: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?
Customer: I am 23, do not have any symptoms but would like to get contraception
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Never had an appointment with a gynecologist. No swelling / discoloration / unusual smells
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, nothing

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your GP can prescribe you contraception.

Yes you will likely need a referral letter from GP if you need to see a gynecologist.
Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Wouldn't it be relevant for me to see a gynecologist ? as I never saw one
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Just wondering

Not needed since you do not have any complex problem.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thanks. When / What occasion should I see a gynecologist ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm just a but confused, I don't really know as I never had a gynecologist appointment and would like to know when it is relevant for me to see one
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry for all the questions, I just need your professional advice

Your GP can take care routine pelvic exam, pap smear, contraception related issues.

Gynecologist is consulted if your GP is not able address your symptoms well like heavy menses not responding to usual treatment, inability to conceive, or any abnormal pelvic exam findings or scan results.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help

Very welcome

Dr Basu and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you