Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

Last night I experiences quite a lot of discharge from one

Hi! Last night I experiences quite a lot of white discharge from one of my breasts and a bit this morning as well and I am a bit concerned about it as I am not breastfeeding nor do I think I'm pregnant. Any advice would be much appreciated.
JA: Apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? How long have you dealt with the discharge?
Customer: I was using marvelon birth control pills for about a year but I stopped using them three or four months ago and I'm not on any currently. IThe discharge just started last night
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: I haven't had a pap smear before and no swelling or discoloration or unusual smells
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I standard anti-anxiety medication recently and I am starting my period in a few days which may have something do with it, but this has never happened before so I'm not sure started*

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding this issue.

You are suffering from galactorrhea, or inappropriate discharge of milk from breasts.

As many as 25% of women are believed to suffer from Galactorrhea, or inappropriate discharge of milk at some point in their life.. It can be due to a wide variety of reasons. The commonest cause is considered physiological, and not pathological, and is due to fluctuating hormone levels, due to excessive beast stimulation or active sexual activity. All these cause a discharge of milk. There are some other causes like hypothyroisdism, etc, but these are probably unlikely. You should not worry about this, as you see, it is a fairly common problem and will go away spontaneously. However, you should approach a gynaecologist if it persists and get the appropriate hormonal tests done.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 1 day ago.

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery.

Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have not done so already on the bar of 5 stars. A bonus is always welcome.