Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have recurring bacterial vaginosis, nothing I’ve tried

Customer Question

I have recurring bacterial vaginosis, nothing I’ve tried will get rid of it. I don’t know what to do
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: I have never had one
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 22 days ago.
Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty getting rid of this infection.What have you tried so far?

Good evening. If you do reply then I would be happy to discuss further.

However, if you have recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis, the first thing is being certain that this is the cause. Therefore if you have not had any swabs taken, I would arrange this. Not only would this give you a diagnosis, but it would inform you if there was any resistance against treatment.

Following this, treatment is with an oral antibiotic called Metronidazole that is taken three times daily for a week, and this should resolve the infection.

If you have had this treatment, then again a repeat swab would be appropriate to find out why it has not gone away.

I hope this is of some help to you.