Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Baby scan picture

Customer Question

Baby scan picture
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 21 days ago.

Hello and I would be happy to help. Can you tell me what your question is?

Dr. Tim

In reviewing your question, it seems that you are looking for an opinion regarding fetal gender. Here is what I would say:
1. The earliest that you can see fetal gender is about 16 weeks
2. Most women find out at about 20 weeks

3. The only way to find out sooner is to pay for a genetic screening test (in the US it is called the Counsyl test)

Those are your only options. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have some scan pic at 14 weeks we kind of think it might be a boy as the Nhs nurse kept referring it as a heI just wanted to get your opinion or thought although I understand it’s might not be accurate
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Pic1

Thank you for the picture. When we scan early pregnancies, we often refer to the fetus using one of the genders generically. There is absolutely no way that you can determine the gender at 14 weeks - it is just not possible.

When I look at the pictures, I cannot determine gender. Perhaps they can bring you back at 16 weeks and try again?

Does this answer your questions?
Dr. Tim