Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 6 weeks pregnant, first ever pregnancy. Since finding

Hello. I am 6 weeks pregnant, first ever pregnancy. Since finding out a week ago I've had almost constant daily feelings in my lower abdomen - not cramping like menstrual cramps, more a strange pulling sensation, it can be quite uncomfortable. It is usually worse at night especially if i'm lying on one side. Is this something to worry about? I feel like every twinge is making me so paranoid. Thank you so much for any advice.
JA: Have you gone in for a first-trimester ultrasound or any tests? What are all the medications you're using?
Customer: I don't have my first midwife appointment for another 2 weeks. I'm on no medications and have no health conditions.
JA: Got it. Are you taking any vitamins? How frequently per week do you exercise?
Customer: I'm taking Pregnacare and also a calcium supplement as i'm vegan
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing

I am an Obgyn with more than 25 years of experience. I will be happy to help you with your question

It is normal to feel discomfort or pulling sensations in the lower abdomen in early pregnancy.

It occurs due to the pull on ligaments and tissues by the enlarging uterus.

As long as there is no crampy pain and no bleeding, you are fine.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Is it ok that it's there all day? Will it ease up as the pregnancy progresses?

Yes, it is OK for the sensations to be present the whole day.

These sensations will decrease from about the 12 - 14th weeks of pregnancy.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you so much. Last thing - is it ok to take painkillers?

The only painkiller you can take during pregnancy is Tylenol.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok thank you so much for your help

You are welcome