Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

My periods have been slightly irregular for the past few

Hi, my periods have been slightly irregular for the past few months. I am actively TTC and this cycle I am currently 17 days late/cycle day 53. I have had an extremely faint positive pregnancy test but since then all negative. Should i seek medical assistance?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I have slight cramping. My period differ by 2-5 days so normally my cycle is between 29-34 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I dont think so

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
And I would serve you with care and patience.

First I need to ask a few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns; I am preparing & typing the questions now, and I will follow up with you.
NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Brilliant thank you

I am sorry to hear about your problem.
We can continue our conversation now through text in this reply forum.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age?

Are you taking any medications?

Weight changes?

Any recent illness?

When had you performed a urine pregnancy test last time?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am 27 years old, no medications, no weight changes and no illnesses. I did a test yesterday morning. The line look so faint its barely visable so I dont want to class that as a positive.

Please allow me just a few minutes.
I’ll reply to you back soon after reviewing it.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Sorry for the late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all this additional information.

I understand your concern.

And it’s my first privilege to pay attention and provide you with suggestions to relieve your discomfort/ worry.

As such there can be a variety of causes of missed periods like hormonal imbalance, weight gain, weight loss, PCOD, thyroid dysfunction, pregnancy to name a few.
With a history of irregular periods, your doctor may recommend a repeat urine pregnancy test for a precautionary measure.

Hormone fluctuations can occur due to changes in diet, changes in sleep patterns, exercise routines, stress levels, etc. It can also be caused by any new medications even over the counter supplements or any recent illnesses

Otherwise, if it would be negative again then your doctor may advise some form of progesterone to induce a period and further investigations like ultrasound, blood work like Thyroid function test, LH, FSH, etc may be advised for further diagnosis and management.

Track your basal body temperature (BBT) to assess if you're ovulating.
Track your cervical secretions to assess your fertility. You're most fertile when your mucus resembles egg whites, looking and feeling stretchy and clear. The more of this mucus you have, the higher your likelihood of getting pregnant. Ovulation is done when the mucus has thickened.
Try an over-the-counter ovulation test can assess when you're ovulating. That way you'll get an idea of when you should plan to have sex.
Maintain a healthy weight.
Stay hydrated.
Avoid caffeinated coffee, tea, alcohol, and soft drinks (decaf is fine).
Start prenatal vitamins.
Try Myo- inositol supplement. Premama Fertility Supplement
And see your doctor for ovulation studies.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Let me know if you have any further queries so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yeah in regards ***** ***** I have been having eggwhite resembling discharge for about 2 weeks. So what are the chances of me actually being pregnant? Do you think I should consult with my doctor? And when do I repeat test?

Thanks for replying back.

I understand your concern.

Yes, you should see your doctor and your doctor may order a urine pregnancy test at the hospital after a clinical examination.

I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you very much for your help today. I really appreciate it

I wish you good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil