How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 38922
Experience:  MD
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

I have an embarrassing issue. There is a odd fishy odour i

Customer Question

Hi i have an embarrassing issue. There is a odd fishy odour i get during sex. How can i fix this?
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Yes and fine
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 18 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You likely have bacterial vaginosis--overgrowth of odor producing bacteria in the vagina.

This is due to the change in vaginal pH.

Please avoid douching.

Please avoid alcohol, smoking.

Please call your doctor for antibiotic prescription.

Metronidazole vaginal cream 0.75% with an applicator can be used daily for 5 days.

Please avoid sexual intercourse during the course of treatment.

You should take a probiotic ( Culturelle Women's Health Balance) and D mannose supplement daily to balance your vaginal pH and prevent future infection.

You can also try over the counter Boric acid 600 mg vaginal suppository daily for 14 days.