Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Last month was the first cycle i tried to conceive my 2nd

Customer Question

Last month was the first cycle i tried to conceive my 2nd baby. I had a HyCosy procedure on 8th March, followed by the Covid vaccine on 11th March. For some reason, last month after trying, after ovulation right up until my period (13 days), I experienced cramping each day. My body is very sensitive and susceptible to things, which is why the HyCosy was also very painful for me. So because this cramping was happening, alongside other pregnancy symptoms, I was convinced I was pregnant. But then I got my period. I thought maybe I had an early miscarriage but my period wasn't longer or heavier than normal. I've also read the vaccine can mess with people's menstrual cycles. Could this have been it? Considering to try again this month whilst getting the 2nd jab.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 11 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this. There is no evidence that this has an impact on fertility so I would continue with your 2nd vaccination as planned.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should continue trying and have the 2nd jab done at the same time, even if I may fall pregnant at the same time as getting it? Is thay not risky?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also I have read that it a longer interval between the two jabs (12 weeks) provides greater protection (81%) vs a 6 week interval of just 55% protection. Is this true? If I get the jab now then mine would only be a 7.5 week interval

That is correct. Yes, you should wait 12 weeks, this is the guidance on the vaccine, not 6 weeks.

https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/coronavirus-covid-19-pregnancy-and-womens-health/covid-19-vaccines-and-pregnancy/covid-19-vaccines-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding/

This is the Royal College guidance for your information.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. My issue is that my fertile days are now as we speak, and I am not getting the 2nd vaccine yet. If I wait until the 12+ week mark, I may be pregnant by then. So what should I do with the 2nd jab?

No problem, the guidance is still for pregnant women to be vaccinated.