Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am an international student from the US studying in

Hello! I am an international student from the US studying in Oxford. Back in July 2020, I got the Mirena IUD at my local gynaecologist inserted and have been dissatisfied with it ever since. I have experienced longer Sorry I did not get the finish my message... I have experienced longer periods than usual. My periods tend to last 8-10 days. I also have spotting throughout the month that is very inconvenient. Accompanying my spotting and my period is very bad cramps. I went back to my local gynaecologist back in the states in February with my concerns. He checked and confirmed that the IUD was in place and advised that I keep it in and continue to monitor the bleeding and pain. He even prescribed me Naproxen for the pain. However, I am so sick of having this thing. The bleeding and pain is the same as it was at my visit in February. I really want the IUD removed and want to know my options for gynaecologists in Oxford
JA: Apologies for the personal questions, but how long have you used Mirena? How long have you dealt with the cramps?
Customer: I have used the Mirena for almost 10 months and the cramps have been a problem the entire time.
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: February was my last smear and everything was normal. I tend to have bloating in my lower belly but no discolouration or unusual smells
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello?

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. You can ask your GP to book you into there contraception clinic for it to be removed, or alternatively book in with a gynaecologist again to ask them to remove it. It is normally quite straight forward to remove as the string would be in place and it is pulled out.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Are there any gynaecologists in Oxford that you suggest?

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/hospitals/oxford/womens-health

https://www.oxfordgynaecology.com/contact-us/private-oxford/

You have a few options in Oxford, here are links to a few. For a simple procedure you do not need a particular type of gynaecologist, so a general Gynaecology clinic would be appropriate.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thank you! I will look into them now

No worries, I hope you can get an appointment soon, take care.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thanks, bye.