Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Can I speak to an expert in birth control pills please

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I would be happy to help. I am an OB/GYN. What is your question?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi dr Tim, thanks for you’re reply. I would like to ask some questions regarding my worries about birth control pills. Firstly, I’m wondering if alcohol has any effect on the pill working? I took my pill on Saturday night without water and 5 mins later I had some alcohol so it was basically like I swallowed alcohol right after taking my pill. Should I be concerned about this? My purpose of being on the pill is to avoid unplanned pregnancy

Thank you for that information. Her is my initial answer:
1. Alcohol has no effect on the effectiveness of birth control. The only way that it would affect birth control is if you forgot to take the pill or threw it up
2. IF the alcohol for some reason decreased the effectiveness of the pill, then you would likely experience some breakthrough bleeding
3. I will admit that I have never been asked this question either in my practice or online, but I am not aware of any concerns. If there WERE concerns, then we would have a huge problem on our hands. Also, if there were concerns, this would be part of the counseling for women taking birth control pills.

So, in my profession opinion, you have nothing to worry about. BUT, know that there is no birth control that is 100% effective.

Does this answer your questions?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. Can I also ask if it is okay to take the pill while you are eating a meal or if you should wait until after? It is such a small pill that I worry it would not be properly absorbed

I do understand your concerns. I would normally tell a patient to take the pill in the evening when they brush their teeth and go to bed. This is mainly so that they do not forget. Also, there is less chance of nausea as a side effect.

In terms of taking it with food, I would suggest that you wait 30 minutes after the meal to take the pill.

Does this answer your questions?
Dr. Tim

If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer (5 stars). This is greatly appreciated.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this answers my questions, thank you, ***** ***** be sure to leave a positive review

Thank you and good luck!