Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Sharp pain left groin area when lifting something heavy or

Customer Question

Sharp pain left groin area when lifting something heavy or squeezing to poop
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am 27 years old female I have been sitting down alot over the past couple of months due to depression so don't know if this can play part
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello and I would be happy to help. Please answer the following questions:
1. When did this begin?
2. Do you notice a bulge in the groin?
3. Are there any other symptoms?

DR. Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It started about 8 weeks ago went away now its back
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also have low back pain
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doctor looked for hernia few weeks ago said there wasn't one

Here is what I think - please give me a few minutes to type...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've also had some bladder issues traces of blood in urine etc .... unsure what is going on but so anxious

First, I am sorry about your depression and what you are going through. Here are the possibilities of groin pain:
1. Yes, this could be a hernia - while they checked this out, it is common and perhaps a second opinion would be in order
2. You might have a bladder infection or a kidney stone. This would explain the blood in the urine
3. You might have an ovarian cyst on the left - this can produce pain that is referred to the groin and low back

I would recommend the following:
1. You need a visit with an OB/GYN
2. If there is concern about a hernia, then a referral to a General Surgeon is appropriate
3. If you do not think that this would be helpful, then in consultation with an OB/GYN, you may need a procedure called a laparoscopy (this is a way to look into the pelvis and you can actually see if you have a hernia to explain the pain (that is not obvious on exam)

Does this make sense?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can a hernia cause blood in urine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have a kidney stone or infection it's all been checked over and I had an ultrasound on kidneys

Blood in the urine can be caused by infection, stones or perhaps something in the bladder.  At your age, cancer is extremely unlikely.  I would suggest a visit with an OB.GYN and consideration of a laparoscopy.  This could also include a cystoscopy (camera to look in your bladder).
I am not just suggesting surgery as a first line treatment.  You have obviously had a thorough workup with no answers.  Sometimes this is the next step.
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is a groin hernia serious

No it is not serious.  If this were the case, based on what you are telling me, there would not be a concern that this is an emergency situation.
Do you have an OB/GYN?

Then this is the path I would go - I would schedule a visit with an OB/GYN.  You can ask about:
1.  Surgery to evaluate pelvic pain
2.  Consideration of cystoscopy to evaluate blood in your urine
3.  Consideration of additional imaging as needed (CT scan) to evaluate the above complaints
Does that answer your questions?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why did u mention cancer. Does my symptoms fit cancer

No, you do not have cancer. Just get a visit with an OB/GYN and ask about what I have itemized.

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so a hernia isn't a medical emergency I can't feel a lump or anything but the pain is sharp even bending

You do not know that it is not a hernia. This might be a hernia or just a pulled or sore muscle.

Dr. TIm

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can sitting to long cause it? I sit constantly I even have a sore low back and hip
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm so worried

You are obviously ruminating on symptoms and letting your mind get away from you. You need to get in to talk with an OB.GYN. They also need to address whether your depression is properly treated as this is also going to lead you to overthink symptoms. I am not worried about you as these symptoms have clearly been going on for a while so they are not an emergency.

It has been a pleasure and I wish you the best of luck

Dr. TIm