Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS. Deal with women related all surgical problems including genito-urinary and breast surgery.
5625079

I have a thrush but it’s been quite a time... No it’s my

Customer Question

I have a thrush but it’s been quite a long time...
JA: How long have you dealt with thrush? Have you experienced this in the past?
Customer: No it’s my first one. And it started 3 weeks ago, I treated it naturally (oils etc) and it stopped but then came back.
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: I’ve never had one. (I’m 19)
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 12 days ago.

The following would help for vaginal thrush;

1) Canesten vaginal cream for 7 days.

2) Probiotics for one month.

Also, avoid (if you do) the following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants

The following would help you:

4) You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks and taking acidophilus tablets/brand Rephresh Pro-B three times a day for one month.

5) Do not use tampons until the end of the treatment.

6) Wear loose, all-cotton underwear as they absorb body moisture.

7) Wipe from front to back when you urinate or have a bowel movement. Bowel bacteria can infect the vagina.

8) Do not shave the vulvar area as the pubic hair protects against chemicals making contact with the skin.

9) Avoid all chemicals in the Vulvovaginal area.

10) Avoid pantyhose and tight pants such as jeans which trap moisture near the perineum

11) After exercise or any sweat-producing activity, bathing or swimming, make sure the perineum is air-dried., Moist surfaces that rub against each other break down and provide an area for yeast secondary growth,

12) Follow a low carbohydrate diet. Take steroids, antibiotics, and oral contraceptives only if very necessary.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How long is it supposed to last?
I am taking probiotics, I put cream and last Sunday I took the medication (one single pill) but it’s still not going...

It takes seven days to go away.

A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture.

Some women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis, which often requires long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150 mg for 3-6 months. This regimen abates the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in the majority of women.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s been way more than 7 days... or is it seven days from the moment I took the fluconazole?
I followed the recommandation of putting coconut oil and tea tree, i feel like it help but would you say it’s not a good idea? Some are really against it.
Thank you for your answers :)

You are very welcome.

Coconut oil and tea tree oil are not recommended by physicians.

Fluconazole takes time to of around a week to show the optimum effect.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello !
I bought the internal and external cream for thrush and Yesterday night I used the internal cream and this morning I have abdominal pain - which are o no the list of side effects that you should worry about and call your doctor for. Though I don’t have any other side effects. And it could also be my periods that are due soon, or what I ate yesterday - what do you think?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
On *
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 days ago.

If the pain is mild, you may not worry.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It’s gotten worse it really hearts now
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hurts *
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 days ago.

Tea tree oil may be the cause of it.

You may need yeast culture, vaginal swab, and a smear test for evaluation.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I haven’t been using the tea tree oil

Okay.

Since it is worsening, you would need a re-exam, investigation, and no medicines for 2-5 days till the investigation reports come.