How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tim, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1455
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Tim, MD is online now

I stopped having my monthly period about 4 years ago at the

Customer Question

I stopped having my monthly period about 4 years ago at the age of 44 what could be the problem and how can i start having a period again
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 9 days ago.

Hello and I would be happy to help. Here is what I know:
1. You are 49 years of age
2. You stopped getting your period about 4 years ago
3. You are wondering if you can start having periods again

Is that correct?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 9 days ago.

Here is my initial answer - please give me a few minutes to type...

Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 9 days ago.

First, I am sorry about your confusion and I certainly think that this is going to help. Consider these thoughts:
1. You are born with all of the eggs that you will ever have
2. Every month during your reproductive years, you recruit eggs that help with the cycle
3. At some, you run out of eggs and your cycles stop
4. Menopause is defined as no period for 12 months, and the average age that this occurs is about 51
5. Some women go through menopause earlier, and this is not completely unusual

So, it appears that you technically went through menopause at age 44. When this occurs, periods stop because there is no estrogen to grow the lining of the uterus. This can be confirmed with blood tests that measure FSH levels and estrogen levels (estradiol).

Is there a reason that you want a period back?
Dr. Tim