How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 13207
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

I think I have a UTI, what can I do for some relief from

Customer Question

I think I have a UTI, what can I do for some relief from itching?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s it, thank you
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

What are your symptoms?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, my age is 27 years and I am a female. I have just woken up today with an itching sensation inside the vagina and feel the constant need to pee. I think this could be a urinary tract infection and I need some advice as to how to stop the itching immediately, as I can’t even walk.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

This is not likely to be UTI, it is most likely an allergic reaction. If you have had any recent unprotected sexual exposure, this could also be an STi like chlamydia, etc. If there is any chance of STI then you should go to your doctor and get tested.

One of the commonest causes of such sensitivity and swelling of the vagina not associated with discharge in younger age group is contact dermatitis. You should assume this to be the cause first. Treatment is to search for the irritant cause, such as soap or underwear, etc. If you find anything new which might have caused this, you should avoid it. You should take Tab. Alavert10 mg once daily for 10 days. You should also use Cortizone 10 steroid ointment twice daily on the area. Both of these are OTC

These two steps will help you to clear this.

If this does not help, you should consult your doctor, preferably a gynaecologist and get checked up. Yeast and BV needs to be ruled out. STI also needs to be ruled out if relevant. You may also need investigations like a PAP smear. Discuss all this with your doctor.

There are many dermatological conditions like eczema, psoriasis, lichen planus, lichen sclerosis, etc which can cause such itching and which need to be seen to by a dermatologist.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti