Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Last time I had a smear PAP test was 2 years ago. At the

Customer Question

Last time I had a smear PAP test was 2 years ago. At the time it appeared that I had HPV, therefore they asked me to do a colposcopy. The colposcopy showed that I had abnormal cells and so they said I should monitor it and do another one 6 months after, which I did. The latest colposcopy showed the type of HPV I had and appeared to not be a cancerous one. I have not since had a PAP test but I will do shortly. I wanted to ask you today a couple of questions, if you can please answer that’d be great.
Since the type of HPV I have is not cancerous, are there any complications that can result from it? Can it be dangerous in any way?
Is it possible for HPV to not show on my next PAP test and if yes will that mean that is gone? Would this mean that a partner cannot potentially catch it?
Also, I recently changed partner - how possible is for them to catch if there when using protection?
Thanks,
Foteini
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry to hear what you have been through. The HPV is not cancerous, it is just associated with causing dysplastic cervical cells, these then have a future risk of becoming cancerous. This is why they are removed. Therefore HPV itself is not treated, however if you have dysplastic cells then these cells are removed and treated. The HPV just means you have a more regular smear due to the higher risk of dysplastic cells. It spontaneously resolves and 90% or people are thought to have it at some point.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for coming back.
They did not advise me however to remove the dysplastic cells, is this something that is always advised when they appear? Also, I am aware that HPV is not treated, however I've heard that it may not appear on a next spear test, would that mean that is still active in this case and that it just doesn't show? When you say spontaneously resolves, do you mean that it's not active anymore, therefore a partner cannot catch it? Sorry for the load of questions!
Thanks!
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

They probably used a small amount of acid to treat them. But if they were low grade they do sometimes wait to see if they resolve.

Typically HPV resolves without any form of treatment, it is more likely it becomes dormant, but rare it would become active again.

It is therefore not considered a sexual transmitted infection such as Chlamydia. But a normal process of have sex with another partner.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

There is no treatment of HPV itself, the treatment is to the cells it changes. This is why children are now vaccinated against certain types of HPV to reduce this from happening.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
when the HPV has resolved, does this mean is not active anymore, therefore a partner cannot catch it?
Also, the HPV type you have has resolved, isn't it possible that you may catch any other type that will activate it again?
When you say it's a normal process of having sex with a partner, is that because 90% of people catch it at some point in their lives, is that what you mean? I am just really concerned that my partner will catch it, do you think there is not much to worry about in this case?
Thanks a lot for all the answers!
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

That is the assumption, yes, but if you have HPV and your partner and you are in a stable relationship, then it is likely you both have had it.

It is rare that it reactivates again, a further subtype would only likely be introduced if you were to have a new sexual partner.

Yes, regarding the 90%. I really would not be worried, the risk is only perceived to you in regard to cervical cancer. Therefore do not worry about your partner.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for all the answers, really helpful!
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 12 days ago.

That is my pleasure, all the best.