Dr.Das
Dr.Das, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.DLO.MD
3452947

When I was 21 I had cryosurgery, I remember the gynecologist

When I was 21 I had cryosurgery, I remember the gynecologist saying the cells inside my uterus had started to form on my cervix and outside causing bleeding after sex. At the time I was on Depo Provera so did not have periods. 12 years ago (aged 28) I stopped the Depo and my periods came back. They have been incredibly painful. To put the pain in to perspective - if kidney stone are a 10 pain level my periods are a 9 (yes I have had kidney stones which I mistook for period pain for 2 days before seeking medical help). 7 years ago I tried to have an IUD fitted however the doctor was unable to get the rod through my cervix to dilate it. So my question really is, could I have Stenosis of the uterine cervix which is causing the severe period pain? I've recently had an ultrasound scan which showed many fibroids, 2 of which were 2.5cm. It's been deemed these could be causing the heavy blood flow but shouldn't really cause the level of pain I'm getting. I've never had children if that makes a difference.
JA: Apologies for the personal questions, but how long have you used Depo-Provera? How long have you dealt with the bleeding?
Customer: I was on depo for about 10 years and was told I had to come off it due to the potential of osteoporosis. The bleeding has been for the past 12 years
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Last smear was normal, won't do another as it's not due for another 2 years, recently had swabs done to check for infections, all negative.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Seen a gynecologist recently who was flippant and said I probably have endometriosis. Wasn't interested in doing any tests to confirm or any investigations

welcome to justanswer.com

Your symptoms suggest that you have a condition known as endometriosis.

This is a condition in which cells from inside the uterus forms in other sites like the ovaries, cervix etc. They need to be cauterized off.

But there is always the risk of recurrence and , in your case, is is very likely that you have had a recurrence of the condition.

Endometriosis can cause very severe pain during the periods.

Endometriosis can also cause stenosis of the cervix. And if the doctor was unable to dilate the cervix to insert the IUD, then it is likely that you do have stenosis. Stenosis will cause pain too.

You will need a procedure called Hysteroscopy in which a camera will be inserted into the cervix and uterus and any stenosis can be opened up and an IUD inserted. Endometriotic cells can also be cauterized at the same time.

You can also have a laparoscopy at the same time to remove any endometriosis inside the abdomen.

Please consult your Obgyn.