Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified Physician
75931320

This past 6months I have been getting my period twice in a

Customer Question

Hi , this past 6months I have been getting my period twice in a month at the start and at the end. This month period has lasted nearly 11 days. Is this normal , I feel drained , irritated, moody
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Just my normal cramping , my period usually last 6-10 days then 12 days later it comes back for another cycle ?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No don’t think so
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am Dr.Andrew, a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Answers here are for education and information.

Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

Respected customer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information, and I will help you figure out a solution.

May I know your age?

Do you mean you are having your periods after every 12 days?

Do you have any clots with bleeding?

I am waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am 24 years of age
It just comes twice every month at start and at the end.
Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

May I know the length of your cycle?

Do you have any clots with bleeding?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not usually any clotting either
Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

May I know the length of your cycle?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is this months
Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

Respected customer

Thank you for providing the details. I can understand your concern and worry.

I am now preparing and typing my answer, and I will post my reply here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 16 days ago.

Respected customer

Thank you for staying online,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling, but hopefully, we can resolve this.

The symptoms you have described of having your periods twice every month at the start and the end, along with prolonged bleeding, can be due to various causes.

The most common causes are- stress, being overweight or underweight, imbalance of hormones, polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance, uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

You may need clinical examination, testing for thyroid function, and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or uterine infection. You may also need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries, and the fallopian tubes.
So I advise you to go to urgent care/make an early appointment with your gynecologist for the tests and clinical examination to determine the root cause. Then, treatment will be done accordingly.

There are medications called hemostatic drugs such as tranexamic acid and hormonal pills to stop the prolonged bleeding prescribed by your doctor accordingly.

Till then, the following treatment measures are recommended for you now:

-You can take a tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It can decrease bleeding by 20-40%. It is available at your pharmacy as OTC (over the counter) without prescription and should help you greatly.

-Apply heat in the form of a warm washcloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day to increase blood flow to the area, allowing to subside the inflammation.

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Expert:  Dr.Andrew replied 15 days ago.

Respected customer

Just checking in on how things are going?

How are your bleeding and other symptoms now?

Have you tried to follow the above-described measures?

Have you tried to make an appointment with your doctor?

If there are any other questions or specific concerns you may have on this issue, please feel free to reply and ask. I'm more than happy to help!