Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I’m think I’m peri-menopausal, I have a constant PMS feeling

Customer Question

Hi, I’m think I’m peri-menopausal, I have a constant PMS feeling with a rock hard bloated stomach. I’m having sporadic periods. Is this a normal symptom?
I have also had two UTI’s in the last 4 months with antibiotics after not having one since my 20’s. Is this normal during this time or should it have further investigations? Thank you
I h
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 21 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. What you've described there is certainly in keeping with the peri-menopausal state. 51 years old is the mean age for the menopause but it can be earlier or later, usually easiest to know by seeing when your mother had it. The best way to know if uncertain is to ask your GP to perform some blood tests of your sex hormones to confirm it. They can also suggest treatment if needed too. UTIs can be more common too and drinking plenty of water often can help as well as some cranberry supplements. I'd advise you to have a quick chat with the GP and ask them to perform a series of blood tests to confirm it. I hope that helps, all the very best.