How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shahid Karim Your Own Question
Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 864
Experience:  Medical Specialist
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Shahid Karim is online now

I’m think I’m peri-menopausal, I have a constant PMS feeling

Customer Question

Hi, I’m think I’m peri-menopausal, I have a constant PMS feeling with a rock hard bloated stomach. I’m having sporadic periods. Is this a normal symptom?
I have also had two UTI’s in the last 4 months with antibiotics after not having one since my 20’s. Is this normal during this time or should it have further investigations? Thank you
I h
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 21 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. What you've described there is certainly in keeping with the peri-menopausal state. 51 years old is the mean age for the menopause but it can be earlier or later, usually easiest to know by seeing when your mother had it. The best way to know if uncertain is to ask your GP to perform some blood tests of your sex hormones to confirm it. They can also suggest treatment if needed too. UTIs can be more common too and drinking plenty of water often can help as well as some cranberry supplements. I'd advise you to have a quick chat with the GP and ask them to perform a series of blood tests to confirm it. I hope that helps, all the very best.