Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

The past few months I have had very abnormal periods,

Customer Question

The past few months I have had very abnormal periods, bleeding for weeks on end and then when it does stop it starts again after only 9 days. There very heavy with clots and in pain
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: yeah in a lot of pain & discomfort. Last one was 18th august to 27th august and then started again 6th September
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they only started being like this the last 5/6 months before that I had a normal cycle
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.    It sounds like you have had some heavy bleeding and irregular cycles?

What is your height and weight?

Most women with these symptoms have PCOS.   The best help would to start a low dose birth control pill.    Can you contact your GP and do this.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have 5ft 1 & weight 8.5 stone
They are very heavy and can get them for weeks at a time
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We were also hoping to try for another baby so I really don’t want to be put on birth control but just feel something isn’t right
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 12 days ago.

You are going to need to have some baseline blood work done to check hormones and thyroid.   Have you done a home pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No I haven’t taken a pregnancy test because of my bleeding a lot and offer I wouldn’t of thought I would be pregnant
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 days ago.

The first step is to do a home pregnancy test.