Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I've not had a period for 17 months ( menopause) however I

Customer Question

I've not had a period for 17 months ( menopause) however I started spotting a week ago ..it was brown in colour then pinky red and now brown ...its not heavy but I notice this when I wipe after urinating ...I am 53 years old
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I've not had a period for 17 months
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No pain
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 12 days ago.

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 15+ years of experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 12 days ago.

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

Do you experience painful/burning sensation with urination?

Are you having any pelvic pain?

I am waiting for your reply..

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 12 days ago.

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

Without the information requested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

It is not normal to have sudden vaginal spotting/ bleeding at this time.

And, When detected early, most conditions causing bleeding after menopause can be successfully treated.

Possible reasons are-

-Hormone problems,

-Atrophy of the vagina, which is inflammation and thinning of the lining of your vagina.

-Polyps (small growths) in the uterus or on the cervix, this is not cancerous.

-Ovarian tumor.

As such, These are generally not serious problems and can be cured relatively easily.
You will be requiring pelvic examination, hormone blood tests along a vaginal ultrasound scan for evaluation of the cause.

A hysteroscopy can be done to take photos of your cervix, uterus, and endometrium.

If this is related to cervical polyps, then you may need to have them removed.

If this is from the Thickening of the endometrium, then it is usually treated with medications like the hormone progesterone and/or surgery to remove the thickening.

For hormone imbalance, you would be prescribed oral medications and injections.

If this is from, thinning of endometrium, then you would need drugs like the hormone estrogen, which is available as tablets, vaginal gel or creams, skin patches, or a soft flexible ring that is put inside your vagina and slowly releases the medication.

The line of treatment would be advised according to the cause.

Please see your Gynecologist and get it clinically evaluated.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.