Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

Ive had the ella one pill 4 weeks ago & im 6 days late for

Customer Question

Ive had the ella one pill 4 weeks ago & im 6 days late for my period what does that mean
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Yeah i have stomach cramps
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: normally my period does be a day late
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. Could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ive had the ella one pill 4 weeks ago & now im 6 days late for my period is this normal or?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
can my period still come

Hi, yes that's absolutely normal. The Ella pill as you can imagine is a massive dose of sex hormones to be able to work and be so effective. However this causes disruption to your hormone levels for usually 1-2 months and you may get a heavier or lighter period which could come early or late by a few days. Sometimes one period may not appear and continue as normal from the next one. This period could absolutely come and time will show us but if it doesn't then I have no doubt it will resume from the next periods due time.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
If my period doesnt come this month then what would happen?

In almost all cases it will, however if it didn't you should ask your GP to take blood tests for your sex hormones and they can consider giving you a medication to kick-start the period but in all likelihood it will come, this is very common and we see it all the time.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
im not pregnant?

Unlikely, the Ella pill is 99% effective. There's certainly no harm taking a pregnancy test of course but I suspect it will be negative.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Isit true the pill only works if you havent ovulated? I had the pill way before my ovulation date so is that a good thing

That means it's even less likely that you're pregnant yes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thats a relief so how long do you think my period will come

I'm pretty certain it'll likely be this week, in most cases it does come but 1-2 weeks late. I hope that helped and you feel better for it, all the very best.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank uou so much , would it be normal if my period still doesnt arrive after the 2 weeks ?

Yes sometimes the first one will be missed altogether then the next one will come. You're very welcome, glad I could help. Come back if you've further questions in the future and all the best :)

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will do been a massive relief

Oh good! Take care :)

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i forgot to mention since yesterday ive been having really bad stomach cramps is that notmal?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello

Hi sorry to keep you, that's likely a sign that your period is about to start. As I said I would give it some time and follow the above advice and I'm certain it will come. I hope that helps, all the best again.