Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz, GP
Experience:  GP training at St helens and knowsely trust (Acute Worcestershire Hospital Trust, Ul
108331350

I am 5 weeks pregnant. My last period started on 11 October

Customer Question

Hi I am 5 weeks pregnant. My last period started on 11 October 2021. I've got home pregnancy tests that shows I am pregnant.
I've been experiencing some light vaginal cramps every now and then. And since today in the afternoon there's always brown discharge when I wipe and I am currently using panty liner.
JA: Have you gone in for a first-trimester ultrasound or any tests? What are all the medications you're using?
Customer: No ultrasound yet. no medications. just some prenatal vitamins.
JA: Got it. Are you taking any vitamins? How frequently per week do you exercise?
Customer: yes
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Khizra Naz replied 20 days ago.

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you.

Spotting is common in early pregnancy, do you have any abdominal pain? How bad is bleeding?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
there's no abdominal pain. but I've been experiencing vaginal cramps since last sunday.
I think I've just sent you a picture of the panty liner with the discharge on it.

It's very common to have spotting in early pregnancy, there is nothing to worry about. You just need to keep observing your symptoms. If there is bad abdominal pain, and this bleeding continues after three days, you will need assessment from maternity.

But discuss this with your GP tomorrow.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Have you seen the picture I sent you? I am just wondering if what you see on the picture is still considered normal.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
File attached (MLG3425)
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
This is my first pregnancy and I am 29 years old

You should go to hospital. It's common but as it's your first pregnancy, you should go to hospital.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My first appointment is not until Thursday next week Doc, and that's the reason I am panicking at the moment.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do you think my pregnancy is safe until then? Is there anything you can advice me?

Yes, pregnancy would be safe until than.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That’s a relief. Thank you for your time and help Doctor. Have a good evening.

You are welcome.