Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I’m 24 years old and I’m a type 2 diabetic. I’m becoming

Customer Question

My name is*****’m 24 years old and I’m a type 2 diabetic. I’m becoming very worried about my vagina, I was in A&E on Sunday night and was given antibiotics for a UTI, now I was expecting a yeast infection from the antibiotics but the pain is concerning. The swelling is making it hard to close my legs, the burning feels like I’ve gotten a chemical burn and little bumps have started forming on the inside of my vagina lips and I’m unable to sleep. I’ve tried having a salt bath, I’ve tried both icing the area and putting a hot water bottle on it and I’ve also tried creams (Silcocks base) and absolutely nothing is helping and I’m just growing very concerned about it and looking for advice on if I need to be seen to asap or not, I’ve been out of work since Sunday as the swelling etc is making it very difficult to even walk.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I’m on antibiotics for a UTI at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m just concentrated that it’s something more than a yeast infection just because I’ve never had one this painful before I’ve tried everything to try ease the pain and nothing seems to be working so I’m just growing concerned
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: since Saturday evening but the pain doesn’t seem to be easing, and nothing really makes it better right now I’m finding it difficult to walk and even close my legs if I lie on my back with my legs open it kind of helps but the pain never fully goes away. I’ve tried pain killers such as Panadol solvable and Solphadaine and it doesn’t seem to be helping
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing. This type of infection is not uncommon after antibiotics. You can treat this with topical Clotrimazole, one brand is Canestan you you can buy this from a pharmacy without a prescription. This is the main treatment

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No problem if you need anymore info please let me know :)
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** just responded above, can you see this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
you don’t think it’s any cause for concern? I was just worried as the pain wasn’t easing and I haven’t experienced this kind of pain with an infection before, is it just because I was given a strong antibiotic?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

No, thrush is common, get the treatment, I am sure it will settle your quickly

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay perfect thank you, ***** ***** probably a silly question I just grew concerned as I’ve never experienced the pain like this before thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Not a problem at all, I hope that it helps

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks so much I have some now so hopefully it works! Thanks so much again :) have a good day
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Not a problem, take care

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it normal for it to sting slightly when applied and also how long till symptoms start to ease?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

Yes as it is inflamed. I would expect 48 hours to start feeling the benefit.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Perfect thank you! :)
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

No worries

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would the swelling go down if I placed a Santry towel in the freezing to put on? The swelling is mainly around the part of the vagina that hangs down (sorry I don’t know the correct terminology) but it’s mainly the part that is above the opening it kind of looks like a ball at the bottom because of how swollen it is
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

I wouldn’t, just give the treatment time. A warm bath without soap is more likely to help

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had a warm salt bath last night is there a chance that might of made it worse?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

Unless it was stinging a lot, I would doubt it did

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it sting a lot when I was out and felt tight is there any painkillers you would recommend to help?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

Ibuprofen is most likely to help with this

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was reading up on side affects of my antibiotic and one of them is blistering of the skin is it a possibility that’s what is going on with my vagina and why I’m in as much as pain as I am?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

I think it is unlikely that would just effect your vagina