Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I have a vaginal itching and I don’t know the cause and how

Customer Question

Hello, I have a vaginal itching and I don’t know the cause and how to treat it
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i didn’t see a doctor and i am not taking any medication
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no there is nothing else
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Is there any discharge? Any bumps?

Is there any history of recent unprotected sexual exposure?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am 20, I have been having these symptoms for 3 weeks, Normal discharges but a bad smell and no bumps and yes I had unprotected sex recently

You are likely to be having a bacterial infection of the vagina called Bacterial Vaginosis. The other possible causes are a yeast infection or if you have a history of unprotected sexual exposure an STI like chlamydia or Trichomonias.
Since you are having foul smelling odor, bacterial vaginosis is the most likely cause.

You can use Intravaginal Lactobacillus capsules. You can get this from the pharmacy without prescription.There are several brands available, these help to replenish the good bacteria in the vagina and thus to get over the infection. You can use Dr.Formula's Nexobiotic or FemDophilus Women's Probiotics. These brand names are ***** ***** many other brands are available and you should discuss with your pharmacist about good brands.

An application of Over the counter CanesBalance BV gel or BV Activ gel twice a day.

Also keep the area dry and clean. Avoid using any vaginal douches.

Sexual activity should be done with condoms for at least two weeks. Use of toys etc should be minimized or done with condoms and strict sterility.

You can try with this, however if the symptoms persist for more than a week or get more severe, then you have to approach a doctor.

You will need prescription antibiotics like metronidazole or clindamycin. The treatment is fairly simple.
Hopefully these steps will resolve this situation quickly. However if the problem persists do see your doctor.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti