Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor
Experience:  29 years of primary care practice
19706630

I am experiencing itchiness in my vagina following a period

I am experiencing itchiness in my vagina following a period (cycle finished yesterday) and no discharge. Wondering if this could be a yeast infection? I was wearing thinx period underwear for a couple days.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain just some minor burning with urination
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you. Sorry you’re having this problem. I’ll try to help you. I need some additional information.
Your age?
Any medical illness like diabetes?
Have you been on antibiotics recently?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m 44. No diabetes. I am asthmatic. I am just recently recovered from Covid and I have finished a course of antibiotics recently because the doctor thought I had a secondary cold/infection just as a precaution. In parallel I had my period and I wear these period absorbent underwear which may contain some chemicals that may cause the skin to itch. But not sure if that’s the case
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have taken a photo of my vag if that helps diagnose.
Antibiotics are a common cause for a vaginal yeast infection. Treatment is with cream or suppository. They are over the counter.
Standard medicines for yeast infections are all a part of the class of antifungal drugs called azoles. They include:Monistat (miconazole)
Gyne-Lotrimin (clotrimazole)
Vagistat (tioconazole)
Gynazole (butoconazole)
Terazol (terconazole)
Upload a picture.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can a yeast infection occur without any odour or discharge?
If it’s mild case, yes. The burning and itching suggest a yeast infection. I’d try one of the otc creams or suppositories for three days. If no better then see a gynecologist.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don’t know if the upload went through. But there is just itching and burning when urinating. No discharge and no smell
I can’t tell from the picture. A yeast infection has a white discharge. With a mild case I would not expect to detect it just from a picture. Normally we do a pelvic exam and take a specimen swab from inside the vagina and examine it under the microscope and or send it to the lab.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks. Will try the otc solution and consult an obgyn if doesn’t clear up.
You’re welcome.