How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KemalG Your Own Question
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1886
Experience:  Expert
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
KemalG is online now

How to treat pcos?

Customer Question

Hello. How to treat pcos?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  KemalG replied 9 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age and if you have a confirmed diagnosis of PCOS? 

Expert:  KemalG replied 9 days ago.

The treatment generally depends on what symptoms you have.

You can have contraceptive medications to control any period related issues.

You can also have a medication called metformin which is used in PCOS.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 30 years old, yes its confirmed. I what to get pregnant but cant tolerate metformin
Expert:  KemalG replied 9 days ago.

Can I ask if you are having regular periods at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No periods
Expert:  KemalG replied 9 days ago.

If you are not having any periods due to PCOS, that means eggs are not released by your ovaries. Therefore, you may benefit from IVF which involves getting the eggs from your ovaries in other ways for the purpose of pregnancy.

Has your doctor talked to you about IVF?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am overweight is there any other other options?
Expert:  KemalG replied 9 days ago.

It all depends on whether you are producing and releasing eggs. If you are producing eggs but can't release them due to PCOS, IVF might be only option.

If you are not producing eggs or producing very few eggs, then you can be given medication to boost your ovaries but this should be done by a gynaecologist so you should speak to your GP to refer you for that.