Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have been using the flo app for a few years now and my

Customer Question

Good day, I have been using the flo app for a few years now and my period are very normal my cycle varies from 29-30 days which I assume I ovulate on days 15 or 16
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My periods are very regular
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The doctor should also know that I did purchase the urine testing strips and I do find my LH surge so I’m thinking that due to the fact I have an LH surge and my periods are regular why is it so hard conceiving. Using the flo app do I suppose to have intercourse on the day of ovulation itself?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am kind of worried because what if I’m fertile but not actually ovulating, I’ve been at this for quite some months now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Am I suppose to have intercourse on the day the app tells me I’m ovulating?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
there on after?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

I would suggest regular unprotected sex 2-3 times per week and with a particular focus on the week prior to your predicted ovulation.

Sperm are viable for up to 5 days within the reproductive tract following ejaculation, however the ovum is only viable for around 12-24 hours so generally it is important to have sperm present prior to ovulation itself.

I agree it is likely you are ovulating around day 15-16 however this is not an exact science hence the suggestion to have regular unprotected sex in any case.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For example I started my period today am I suppose to start having intercourse on the date of the dotted line?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

If you are getting towards 12 months of trying without success, then it would be worthwhile considering initiating some first line fertility investigations via your doctor including blood tests for you (including mid-luteal progesterone levels to check for regular ovulation) and a semen analysis for your partner.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

I hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would you be able to tell me does the egg get fertilised on the day of ovulation or after?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If I’m likely to ovulate on the 26th of this month are you suggesting it’s best to have intercourse before the 26th?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Usually needs to be fertilised within 24hr of ovulation, so essentially the same day.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Yes, that’s what I’m suggesting.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay and is there anything over the counter anyone can take to help with ovulation?
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

There are some preconception products available such as:

https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/pregnacare-conception-max

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.
Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.