Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I’ve experienced bleeding in between periods and I’m not

Customer Question

Hi I’ve experienced bleeding in between periods and I’m not quite sure what to fo
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No I’m not in pain , my periods are sometimes regular
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m 15 no
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do you take any medication regularly?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No medication at all

At what age was your first menstrual period?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Age 12

For how many days does your period last?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Around 5 then it does a brown discharge which I’m assuming is blood but it last quite a while , a couple of weeks, then I’m back on my period again

any pain?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No

please give me a moment.

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to serve you; I want to tell you that what you are experiencing is a condition called dysfunctional uterine bleeding, this type of situation is characterized by producing a specific sign called metrorrhagia, which is the presence of bleeding outside the menstrual cycle, the causes are very diverse, variants of hormonal and endocrine disorders to anatomical and structural alterations such as fibroids or uterine fibromatosis, It is for this reason that your doctor after a thorough physical examination from the gynecological point of view in which a colposcopy, a pap smear, and cervical cytology may indicate specific analysis and hormonal studies such as the measurement of follicle-stimulating hormone, lutein, estrogens, progesterone, and estradiol. In fact, there are also studies or image analyses such as a pelvic ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound that help us to determine in detail if there is any structural alteration at the level of anatomical structures such as the uterus, tubes, and ovaries, However, to stop the bleeding there are specific medications such as tranexamic acid in 500 mg tablets which your primary health care physician should indicate. This medication should be taken every 8 hours for three days to reduce bleeding; sometimes, it is usually necessary for specific supplements such as vitamin K, but they are generally intravenous administration drugs. Also, your primary health care physician may consider the possibility of starting hormone therapy with oral contraceptives with a low hormonal load as in the case of Ethinyl estradiol with levonorgestrel, including medroxyprogesterone is also widely used, which helps to restart the menstrual cycle so that you return to bleed usually. Initially, in this type of situation, complete hematology or hemogram is always indicated to help us determine if there is a significant blood loss that compromises the hemodynamic status of the patient or generates some anemia that inclines us to start treatment with iron, commonly known as ferrotherapy, so as you will see it is a truly complex situation that your doctor must address to find the cause and treat it promptly. I would like you to keep me informed of your health situation; I will be happy to assist you and guide you in everything I can.