Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I have had a period for 15days, they are usually quite

Customer Question

I have had a period for 15days
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: they are usually quite regular and it’s painful here and there
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age ?

Have you had longer periods earlier also?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am 19
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have contacted my doctor but they have just prescribed my blood thinners but those don’t help

Are you taking tranexamic acid?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have tried those and they are no good

This looks like excessive period bleeding or abnormal uterine bleeding. In this you may have increased or bleeding during your period with waxing and waning, which can last longer than a normal period. A single or few episodes of excessive period bleeding are very common and most women go through such episodes at one time or the other. It can be due to a number of causes like stress, weight gain/loss, excessive exercise, PCOD/PCOS (Polycystic ovarian disease), etc.

A single or recurrent irregular period bleeding episode from time to time is very common. In your case also it is most likely related to a period of stress, or heavy exercise, weight gain, etc. You will usually regain your normal cycle by the next period.

If the irregularity lasts for more than 3 months, or you have heavy bleeding in excess of 10 days, you have to go to a doctor for this.

Meanwhile, try with these steps:

If bleeding is very heavy, and tranexamic acid is not working, you can also take Advil/Motrin 400 mg (OTC) three times daily. It can help to stop bleeding. Take it after meals as it can cause acidity. If you have any acidity, then take Cap. Prilosec before breakfast (OTC).

Avoid heavy exercise.

No lifting of heavy weights

Try to avoid stress - cut down on coffee, alcohol, smoking.

Regular hours of sleep.

Good healthy diet.

Iron, Vit. C and Zinc supplements

In most cases, this is due to stress and will subside with this. You can try these steps for 5-7 days to see if they help, but if the bleeding persists after this, or if it increases during this period, you need to see your doctor again, preferably a gynaecologist.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti