Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I having been having breast pain for over 12 months. I went

Hi. I having been having breast pain for over 12 months. I went to my GP in July last year who after examination said she found 2 1cm lumps and referred me to hospital. My daughter booked a private appointment and the consultatant said my breasts felt fine. I had a mammogram and the results were clear. I then had my routine mammogram screening in March this year and that was also clear. I continued to have pain so was referred again. I had my appointment yesterday and discussed the pain and was informed after examination that everything was fine. When I left the appointment I realised I never mentioned the 2 lumps that my doctor felt last year. I’m now worrying about this and wonder if I should have mentioned it even though the first consultant said he couldn’t feel anything.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: i have had the pain for over 12 months. It feels better when I don’t wear bras
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.

You need not worry about this. Since the mammogram was clear, the lumps are not significant.

This is likely to have been fibroadenosis.

There are two types of breast pain:

Cyclical: This is related to the periods due to fluctuating hormonal levels. It is a heavy, dull sensation in the breasts. It is often related to fibrocystic disease of the breasts, which is relieved spontaneously or may occassionally require hormonal treatment.

Non-cyclical breast pain: This is usually described as a sharp burning/stabbing pain. This is not related to the cycle itself. The cause is usually unknown, but in some cases can signify mastitis, cyst, etc. It only rarely is related to cancer.

It also commonly occurs that pain from the chest wall, such as in costochondritis of the ribs, might be interpreted as breast pain.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That’s fine thank you. So do you think it was irrelevant that I didn’t tell the consultant about my lumps? He did examine me and said he was happy.

Yes it wasnt necessary to tell him about the lumps since the mammogram had cleared up the issue.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health. Have a great day!

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience: Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
As my colleague mentioned the normal mammogram in March and normal examination by (I presume) a breast surgeon is reassuring.

For future reference if you feel any new breast lumps or lumps in armpits or if there is any breast shape asymmetry/nipple change/nipple discharge/weight loss then you need to see your GP urgently again for referral for urgent breast triple assessment.