Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I’m 22 weeks pregnant with sereve pain in lower tummy, no,

Customer Question

I’m 22 weeks pregnant with sereve pain in lower tummy
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’ve been to maternity ward and baby was all fine
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No bleeding or fluid loss I do need to go toilet as in poo but can’t go and feel like I have trapped wind I’ve had it for 24 hrs now tho

Pain and cramping during later stages of pregnancy is not uncommon.

The likely causes for this pain would be:

Braxton-Hicks contractions: the uterus has these pseudolabour contractions which can be painful occasionally.

Gas pains: due to the slowing of intestinal passage of food, there are gas pains and bloating. This seems most likely in your case.

Pressure of growing uterus: As the uterus grows in size, it puts pressure on the surrounding organs and this can cause pain.

Constipation: increased constipation during pregnancy is often the cause of pain.

Gas pains are the most likely. You can take Cap. Prilosec for now. But you should also discuss with your doctor for this.

Meanwhile take the followings steps:

Plenty of fluids - make sure you are well hydrated.

Warm compresses: warm a towel and apply it to the area.

Soak in a warm bath

Change positions - do not remain in the same period for long

Left lateral position - at night while sleeping sleep in the left lateral position.

Vt. C, Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplements -you can get this at your pharmacy.

Avoid smoking, avoid alcohol, cut down on caffeine

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Maintaining regular bowel movements at fixed time

Regular hours of sleep

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti