How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 18277
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

I have an issue regarding vaginal infection, I wish consult

Customer Question

Hi, I have an issue regarding vaginal infection, I wish consult for the same.
JA: How long have you dealt with the vaginal infection? Have you experienced this in the past?
Customer: I have been dealing this for the past few weeks, I took a medicine as well, could see good results however, after stopping the medication the infection comes back
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: to be honest I have not taken any smear test or pelvic exam, I have been trying to connect with my GP for so long, they are so full, I am never able to consult them. I took the medicine from an online prescription from my hometown.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing of that sort, I just wish to get proper medication to deal with this
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My name is***** am 21 years oldI have been dealing with vaginal infection for the past few weeks now
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think I would be more comfortable on a chat service, if that's fine
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.

I have your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, no problem
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

What are your symptoms? Do you have green discharge with odor? Or white clumpy discharge with odor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have a white discharge with odor.
The amount of discharge is more than normal.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have dealing with this for the past few weeks, with the same symptoms of abnormal discharge. I took some medicines which were working okay but when I would stop taking them, I would get the same problems after few days.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

You are likely be having a yeast infection of the vagina. This typically presents with iching or burning and white discharge which may be thick curd like. It may be associated with redness and small bumps in the vagina.

The first infection should preferably be treated under medical supervision. If this is the first time that you suspect a yeast infection, then you should attend a doctor for this. A doctor can determine infection from the symptoms and by examination. Tests like examination of scrapings can confirm this.

But if you had yeast infections before, and you are sure that it is a yeast infection again, or you want to try a treatment first before going to the doctor, then you can treat with OTC creams and ointments like clotrimazole (Lotrimin) and Miconazole (Monistat 3). You can get 1 day, 3 day or 7 day treatment packs, use the 3 day or 7 day packs preferably. Use it as directed in the pack. You can get this OTC at the chemist/pharmacy.

It is also very important that your partner also gets treated at the same time, otherwise you will keep reinfecting each other.

He should also apply the same ointment on his penis for 3 days.

Avoid sex during this period.

Keep the area dry, do not use tampons or douches.

Usually these steps will help to clear out the infection.

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I used clotrimazole before too, but last time I used the external and internal creams and even took one tablet, I could see good results, but it would come back again after a few days.
if I take the tablet for 3 days or 7 days, am I assured that I would not have to deal with this again ?
And incase, I go through this again, what do you recommend me to do further ?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

You are having recurrent yeast infection.

The first step is to repeat the OTC yeast medicine. You should use a different brand and use it for a longer time, 7 day course. For example, if you have used Clotrimazole, as in Canestan, you should now go for a Miconazole ointment. If you used a 1 day course earlier, go for a 3 day course or more. You should discuss this with the pharmacist for choosing a brand.

If it still recurs, you have to go to the doctor.

If it is occurring repeatedly, then this requires oral antifungals. You have to ask your doctor for this, discuss this with your doctor.

The oral antifungal most commonly given is Fluconazole. Usually a single dose is given first. However, if the infection occurs repeatedly, then an intensive dose for 2 weeks followed by a maintenance dose for two months is given. This will almost certainly cure your infection.

At the same time, you have to make sure that it is not an STD like chlamydia, trichomonas, etc. For this, you have to ask your doctor for tests for this like swab tests. Insist on this.

You should also have your blood sugar tested.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay, will do that.
Thankyou for your help.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sure, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Thank you