Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I had some abnormal bleeding yesterday I'm a bit worried

I had some abnormal bleeding yesterday I'm a bit worried about
JA: How long have you dealt with the bleeding? Have you experienced this in the past?
Customer: The past 24 hours roughly, I've never had it before
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: About a year ago, nothin irregular
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I was on Microgynon for about a month but stopped about 4-5 days ago. I had been on Microgynon for about 4-5 months a bit over a year ago and didn't have a problem with it in the past.

I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 16+ years of experience in clinical practice and have been assisting people with their questions on JustAnswer.com for the last 15 years.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Dr. Josh
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The bleeding was coating what looked like a clump of cells. I managed to grab a photo

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

When did your last period begin and when did it end?

Please feel comfortable with me.

I am waiting for your reply..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My last period was on May 4 until May 8th. I then started taking Microgynon onMay 14th until June 16th so I did not have a period during that time.

How much are you bleeding? How often do you need to change your pad/ tampon? 2 hours or longer?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The bleeding started yesterday around 6pm and lasted until about midnight. I needed to change my tampon every 1,5 hours

• Did you pass blood clots?
  • Has the bleeding stopped now?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The bleeding has stopped. I think I passed blood clots but what fell out of me when I was changing my tampon as it was a bit abnormal and did not look like a normal blood clot.
If it's alright, I can send you a picture.

Yes, Please share the picture.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (43S5QM4)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There was another piece attached to the tampon as well

Did you send the video/ picture?

Unfortunately, I am not able to see it.

Can you please share it in another format?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did. One moment and I will try again.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Here it is.

Sure. I would wait, for it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I sent it above

Alright. I have received it now.

Are your periods generally regular?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't usually have any irregularities

Respected customer

I appreciate all this additional information you have given.

Please give me a few minutes to review this and type up an answer.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Respected Customer,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

I understand, that you have passed such a blood clot and have abnormal bleeding.

Such irregular bleeding or breakthrough bleeding typically happens during the first few months of taking a new birth control pill. It can happen for 6 months or so, as it takes time for the body to adjust to the new hormone levels.

You should not be worried at all.

As such, passing blood clots is normal, during such time.

Such a clot may appear bright red.

The general rule of thumb is- If one has to change the pad/ tampon every 2 hours or less, for several consecutive hours, then it is called Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) and one may need to visit Urgent care ASAP.

As the bleeding has now, stopped, So I would not be worried.

Please follow the below tips-

-Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids and Gatorade.

-In the meantime, please take over-the-counter Ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day after meals.

It would help to stop bleeding by about 30-40 percent. It works by reducing the amount of prostaglandin in the lining of your uterus, as prostaglandin contributes to bleeding.

-You can Apply heat in the form of a warm washcloth to the lower abdomen area for 10-15 minutes about 2 or 3 times a day.

-You can make sure you take iron supplements and foods rich in iron to make for your daily iron needs.

Link for iron-rich food-

Iron-Rich Food | List of Meats And Vegetables | Red Cross Blood

Such bleeding would stop in a few days. You can use the wait and watch approach.

You can follow the below measures-

- You can take some time to relax, get regular exercise, or even do some breathing exercises to manage your stress.

-Practice Yoga and Meditation. Try to remain away from stress. Keep yourself busy with your hobbies.

-You can top up your meals with vitamin D from fatty fish, such as salmon and tuna. Sun exposure, would also be helpful. Getting enough vitamin D may also support a healthy menstrual cycle.

-You can, make sure that your diet includes green vegetables, fruits, dry fruits, red meat, fish, and foods that give you complete nutrients regularly. Soy products, legumes, flaxseed, sesame seeds, olive oil, kale, celery, and dry fruits are some of the best food sources to get estrogen.

-You can include Cinnamon in Your Diet, It helps to regulate the flow of blood and is of great help.

For stress-related issues, please follow the below tips-

-Please avoid caffeine and alcohol.

-Please get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

-You can laugh more or watch a comedy or read a funny book.

-Connect with friends and family.

-You can go to meditate and do yoga, it would quiet your mind.

You need to eat healthy and nutritious meals. Take a nutritious diet containing a good amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, and multivitamins.

I reassure you that there is nothing serious behind this so please don't stress yourself.

Please try to follow the suggestions, as we discussed and you would get good results.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Alright, thank you! Is there anything, in particular, I should watch out for? When should I get worried?

If you have to change the pad/ tampon every 2 hours or less, for several consecutive hours, then it is called Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) and one may need to visit Urgent care ASAP.

If you get- severe fatigue/ shortness of breath, then please get it checked.

Please start with OTC Motrin, and you would get good results.

Most likely you would be fine, and such an issue would get resolved.

I hope this helped.

Let me know if you have any questions, please. I would be glad to help you further.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Alright, thanks!

You are very welcome! I am very glad I could help!

Thank you for the opportunity to help and I wish you all the best.

I will be glad to help you always.

God bless you and Take care.