Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

It's been a month since I haven't had my period, Every

Customer Question

It's been a month since I haven't had my period
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Every 28days exactly Not in pain
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

Is this the first time you have missed a period?

Any chances of pregnancy due to unprotected sexual exposure after your last period?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My age is 24, yes this is the first time I missed my period in the last year, I don't think I am pregnant because the last tim I had sex was 1 and a half month ago yes it was unprotected but we didn't finish what we were doing, I have done 3 pregnancy tests 2simple ones and 1 digital,
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also have hypothyroidism and I take pills for that the last 6 months, sometimes though I forget to take them even for a week, can that affect my period? Also I'm overweight.

There are many causes of a delayed period, the ones most likely for you are:

* Psychogenic factors and Hormonal imbalance:
* Stress
* Weight gain/loss

* Excessive dieting or overeating

* Hypothyroidism: hypothyroidism is a common cause of delayed periods and this can be the cause for you.

* Obesity

* Polycystic ovarian disease

A delayed or missed period is a very common condition due to slight hormonal imbalances caused by stress, exercise, weight gain or loss, etc. It will usually resolve spontaneously and you will get back your normal period.

However, it is medically recommended that if the period is delayed for more than 4 weeks, you should approach a gynaecologist for a check up. As it has been a month you can go for a Gynae checkup.

Meanwhile for now, steps you should take are:

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Vt. C, Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplements -you can get this at your pharmacy.

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week at the minimum. This is the most important step.

Maintain optimal weight – check your BMI on the net, its easily done. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight by at least 5 pounds, this will help greatly.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

Cut down on excess sugar and carbs

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Regular hours of sleep

Dont obsess about this thing, it will only add to the stress and further delay your period even if you are not pregnant.

This will help to regularize the system, but since period is delayed by one month show your doctor for further investigations.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti