Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I can hear my heart beat in my left ear and it keeps popping

I can hear my heart beat in my left ear and it keeps popping but no relief also I suffer with severee anxiety
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: no but I do get thick clear mucus from nose somtimes
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
When I swallow my ears make a piping sound but no relief from the pressure and heart beating in my ear
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Poping *
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also a constant noise in the ear like a stream running
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

You are suffering from Pulsatile Tinnitus.

This is a condition when a person hears a pulsatile sound in his ear along with his heartbeat.

It is generally not a significant condition and is caused by the natural flow of blood in the large vessels which are close to the ear. Occasionally, it can be caused by tumors such as glomus tumors, or due to a loop of a blood vessel overlying the cochlear nerve.

Hence you should consult an ENT for this, you will need to do tests like MRI and MRA of the region to rule out any vascular loops or tumors. In most cases no such loops or tumours are detected.

A major part of this condition is due to anxiety and stress. I would suggest that you go through the investigations but also consult your doctor about taking anti anxiety medicines.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What does the ear popping mean?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it’s nothing to do with the tube

Ear popping is just the opening of the eustachian tube when we swallow, this is natural. It occurs in all persons, it is the mechanism by which middle ear pressure is maintained at an equal pressure to the external atmosphere.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
can anxiety cause pulsating tinnitus

Yes, anxiety can cause you to pay more attention to something which would would be ignored by other persons not suffering from anxiety. Just like the popping sound you mention, we all hear it and accept it as normal but you are worrying about it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m more worrying about the pulsating in my ear it wakes me up

Its just your pulsatile tinnitus, check this up with your doctor, preferably an ENT

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is it life threatening I’m going on a plane will this be ok

Its not at all life threatening. You can certainly get on a plane,