How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 18558
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

Do I have herpes?

This answer was rated:

Do I have herpes?

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

What are your symptoms?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Any recent unprotected sexual exposure?

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
20, small rash near vaginal opening, a week and I has unprotected sex around 3 weeks ago, I haven’t been able to get a doctors appointment. I have a picture of it
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It doesn’t look like blisters

Please share the pic if you can

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (MZT36QZ)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (3G253ZG)

This is not herpes. I cannot clearly make out the rash you are referring to, everything seems normal here. There are some Fordyce's glands, which are normal clumps of sebaceous glands.

But if you have a rash, and this is after sexual exposure, you should have this checked out. Herpes is not there but other STI is possible.

Since you have a recent history of unprotected sexual exposure, this could be an STI, a sexually transmitted infection..

The common sexually transmitted infection which would produce symptoms like yours are:
Chlamydia, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, syphilis, Trichomonas vaginalis,  etc.

You should now consult a doctor, you can also go to a STI/STD clinic.

You will need swab tests and blood and/or urine tests to determine your infection.

There are other possibilities like contact dermatitis, yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis, cervicitis, follicilutis, etc. These can be differentiated at the clinic if STI tests are negative.

For now, measures you should take are:
* Keep the area dry and clean.
* Avoid touching as far as possible. The point is to avoid bacterial infections.
* Wash with clean water and an antiseptic soap once daily and then pat the area dry.

But do go to a doctor or STD clinic/Planned Parenthood clinic at the earliest.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you