How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 48771
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I am a 27 year old female I class myself as healthy but I have

Customer Question

I am a 27 year old female I class myself as healthy but I have just had some blood results done at my docters, my thyroid came back boarderline tsh level 5.15. This the 2nd time I have had a boarderline result but had a thyroid test done in december 2011 and it was ok my tsh level was then 4.3. I am really worried why my thyroid keeps going up and down. I am feeling tired and moody and i have very bad anxiety and started to feel dizzy. I dont know wether these symtoms are because i am very anxious as I do suffer with my nerves. This is really worrying me as I dont know what is causing this. can you give me any advice
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.
This is Dr. David

most endocrinology doctors think that TSH levels between 4.3 and 5.15 are really too high to be "normal". the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist in 2003 suggested new "normal" range for TSH to be between 0.3 and 3.0. Anything above 3.0 can be argued as hypothyroid.

since you are having symptoms of fatigue and other symptoms, you need to have more blood testing. you should get blood testing for anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody and anti thyroid globulin antibodies to see if these are elevated. if so, you could have an autoimmune thyroiditis which can keep your thyroid from functioning properly and make you hypothyroid.

talk to your doctor about getting the above antibody blood test to see if you might have a thyroiditis condition going on.

let me know if you have questions.